Saturday, April 9, 2011

Counterfeit Kit Challenge for April

I've been wanting to try the Counterfeit Kit Challenge for a while now and last night I finally spent some time putting together my first kit based on their inspiration kit for this month - "A Little Birdie Told Me" from Front Porch Kits.

These are the papers from the inspiration kit:


I decided that the best way to proceed would be to choose one sheet of paper from my stash which would be the basis for selecting everything else.  After looking at that very busy multi-coloured floral sheet (top center) in the inspiration kit, I found a paper in my stash called "Radical" from  Basic Grey's Offbeat line.


And three hours later this is the kit that I had created:


In addition to the cardstock and kraft paper, I used the following:

Basic Grey - Offbeat - Radical
My Mind's Eye - Lush - Blue Diamonds Paper
Crate Paper - Restoration - Slipcover
Crate Paper - Portrait - Pearls
Webster's Pages - Sweet As Cherry Pie - Little Nibbles
We R Memory Keepers - Merry January - Branch
My Mind's Eye - Alphabet Soup Boy - Ziggy
Basic Grey - Lime Rickey - Hoboken
We R Memory Keepers - Merry January - Slush
Scenic Route - Sonoma - Grove Street

It was SO much fun putting this kit together!! The biggest problem was trying to figure out when to stop adding stuff to it!  My new way of organizing my paper by colour made it very easy to know exactly where to look for a certain type of paper instead of having to wrack my brain trying to remember which paper line by which manufacturer had what I was looking for.  I knew I didn't spend all those hours changing things around for nothing. ;-)

I have big plans for that little piece of black and white houndstooth fabric - yo-yo flowers.  I've never attempted to make these so it's possible that none will ever make it to my layouts!  We'll see.

And now, it's time to start playing...

Until next time...
Susan :-)

19 comments:

  1. I love your kit! I always have the same problem - how to stop adding to my kit. I like your process, may have to try that for May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Susan this is pure yummy!!! I love that Offbeat sheet and never thought of it for this kit! Great idea to use this as a jumping off point. You have so much great stuff here! Can't wait to see what you create with this. :) These challenges really make us realize the great stuff that we have to use up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great kit! The colors are beautiful. I keep adding to my kit because I didn't think it out very well in the beginning.
    Love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kit is BEEEEAUUUITIFUL!!!! I love your birdies. I think you are going to have so much fun with this. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep most of my paper in color order and I love it. Works great for me! I love your choices for your kit, Can't wait to see what you make, and I hope you do make the yoyo flowers, they sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your kit. I keep my paper by color too and it makes everything so much easier for me. Hope you try the yo yo flowers. They are really easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks brilliant - well done for putting it all together. Don't worry too much about needing to add more stuff to the kit - we all do it! Looking forward to seeing how your yo-yo flowers work out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great kit - I think you chose just the right sheet for inspiration. Enjoy using it all up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you have created an amazing kit! Lots of great little embellies to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! Great job! I love all the bits and pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! I just posted about mine, too! I had the same problem, Susan - I didn't know where to stop. I definitely think that I added too much, but it can all just go back into the stash (or get bagged up for cards like you and Jen did - what an awesome idea!) I'll be posting some of my creations soon. I also wanted to ask you about geocaching! I asked Jen because I forgot that you are actually the seasoned geocacher in the family. Cliff and I are thinking about trying this out. Do you have any suggestions/tips for us as newbies? :) I can't wait to see what you create with your kit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome kit! I love your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Organising by colour certainly helps with this challenge! Your kit is so lovely and bright and cheerful it makes me want to see your entire paper collection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I could add little notes all over your photograph then they would say how I love 'this bit' and 'this bit' but I can't, so how about I say that I love it all?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that piece of Basic Grey! I want!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey Susan -love the Bloggy makeover - fantastic - terry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice kit...you really captured the feel of the original kit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Love all the little bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.