Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Shimelle's Sketch of the Week

This past week I played along with Shimelle Laine's Sketch to Scrapbook Page.  I love that Shimelle includes a video where we can see her create her page.  Watching these has totally inspired me to be less uptight in my scrapping, after all, nobody will really know if elements on my pages are not cut 100% straight or don't line up perfectly!  I find I am much more relaxed while creating pages now and I seem to be completing more of them lately because of that.

Shimelle has also reminded me of the importance of getting our stories onto our pages!  I used to be really good at this when I first started scrapping and then somehow over time I began thinking more just about the design of the page and the products I was using and less about journaling.  It's time to change that!

This week's sketch was ideal for a couple of photos taken of Matthew during our trip to Jasper this summer.  He was totally in his element, immersed in nature, and I'm glad to have finally documented his love of the outdoors.

I used a wide variety of papers - MME, Crate Paper, Cosmo Cricket and Basic Grey - and lots of little leftovers which Jen gave me from her recent Studio Calico kits.  She always says that she feels bad just handing me scraps but they turned out to be perfect for this layout - bicycles, maps and trees - just what I needed to complement the theme of this page!


You can find Shimelle's latest Sketch to Scrapbook Page here, and this is the sketch that goes along with it:


Until next time...
Susan :-)

4 comments:

  1. I totally LOVE this LO! The mix of papers, hand stitching, MS starbursts... I could go on and on! Here's to mixing the scraps with the good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the layout, especially the way that you set up the three blue points to create contrast.

    Great pictures of our nature lover. YDH

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, this paper is perfect!! Pretty photos too!!! I love the little details. Just a fantastic page, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooo ! loving that hexagon border & how the stitched border adds so much ! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.