Sunday, May 20, 2012

Coldplay...Capturing the Concert

In our twenty-seven years together Richard and I had only been to one music concert together but this past Christmas he surprised me with a pair of tickets to see Coldplay, one of my favourite bands, and one that I really wished to see live.  April 17th finally rolled around and we were off to see the show.  It was thoroughly enjoyable and definitely did not disappoint!

Each person was given a wristband as they entered the stadium.  We didn't know what to expect of these but they turned out to be one of the amazing parts of the show.  At various times throughout the night the wristbands, which contained tiny lights inside, lit up and flashed creating a sea of various-coloured glowing lights in the stadium.  It truly made for a special atmosphere and made you feel like you were part of the show.

Since I'm a rule-follower and our tickets clearly stated that we were not allowed to take photos of the show, I left my good camera at home fearing that it might be confiscated.  I so wanted to be able to capture a moment of the evening that I threw caution to the wind and "smuggled" in my tiny digital camera.  ;-)  I figured I'd risk losing that one for the chance to take a photo even though I knew the quality wouldn't be as good.  As it turns out nobody seemed to care that I was using a camera and I was able to get a few blurry shots.  It sort of made me wish that I'd risked bringing my good camera but even though my photos are less-than-perfect they are still my souvenir of the night and I love them!

I wanted to create a scrapbook page that reflected the atmosphere of the show and recorded all of the little details so that I would remember it all in the future.  I decided to use black cardstock for the background and brightly coloured patterned papers which would remind me of all those glowing wristband lights in the crowd, and I chose a sketch which uses chevrons because their sharp points remind me of the lasers that were used.


The only problem was how to include all the details of how the show unfolded.  I finally came up with the idea of taking an online concert review and printing it onto a fold-out leaflet.  It sits beside the two photos with a paperclip to keep it closed but can be unfolded to read all the details.

 
This is the sketch I used from Creative Scrappers:


Seeing Coldplay live was a dream come true for me.  I know people say we should Dream Big...but I say dream small and more of your dreams come true!  LOL

Until next time...
Susan :-)

5 comments:

  1. This is such a cool page!!! I love the chevrons. Scrapping this on black was such a great idea. All the colors just pop. I am glad you had a good time. I have brought in my big camera to a couple of concerts. They say no cameras. But I have seen plenty of flashes going off during the shows. They just made sure it didn't zoom out very far on mine. I did manage to get a few really good shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving everything about this LO!! It is truly scrapped from the heart as it's elements reflect your concert memories. The concert review is a terrific idea! Thanks for the chevrons tutorial. I might get brave and give it a go sometime soon. P.S. What!?!! Coldplay over Dwight Yoakam!! That's just WEIRD Sylvia! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sylvia ... glad you enjoyed the concert. You created a cool coloured layout. Awesome job. Your title is awesome. What was that Sylvia I couldn't hear you. Did Chris do his dance? dbnl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, there were moments when it got a bit wild, and I couldn't help but smile and think of you, Rob. :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm totally with you on small dreaming. It's great to read that one of yours came true. Love, love, love the pull out review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.