Thursday, June 27, 2013

Summertime Photo Scavenger Hunt

I've found and photographed my first item for Rinda's Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt!

#14  A Mosaic

It may be a very simple mosaic, but it is a very special one.  It sits on the ground under the grape arbour of the community garden at the United Church across the street from my home. It was created by young children who participate in a group called "Little Sprouts" which teaches them about plants and gardening.  I love the mosaic's simple design and it adds a lovely decorative touch to the garden!

This year I decided that I would like to join in on the fun that goes on over at the community garden and I requested a plot.  I've met some really nice people in the process and I'm enjoying watching my little garden take shape.  I planted beans, cherry tomatoes, green peppers, beets, carrots and lettuce.

Some of the raised beds at the community garden.

My gardening plot - 3 x 8 feet.

We've had lots of rain in the past month which was nice because we didn't have to worry too much about watering, although we could have used a bit more sunshine to help the growing process.  Things are picking up though and we've already been eating salads the past week made with lettuce fresh from my garden.  It's very convenient to live right across the street so I can just run over whenever I need something from the garden!
The only problem I've encountered so far is an ant infestation at the end of my plot. In the process of going about their daily routines, the ants have destroyed one of my tomato plants and nothing that I've seeded in that general area will germinate. I've been looking for a natural solution to the problem but nothing has worked so far.  I've tried a concoction of homemade rhubarb water but that had no effect at all.  I tried leaving them little piles of cereal (the kind that needs to be cooked in boiling water) because I read that when they eat it, it will expand in their stomachs and kill them.  Apparently cereal is not high on the list of an ant's favourite food because they are leaving it untouched.  My next attempt will be to sprinkle cinnamon which is supposed to drive them away.  I have my doubts but I'm willing to give it a shot.  If it doesn't work I guess the ants and I will just have to learn to live with each other - and as long as they stay in their one little corner I'm okay with that.

Until next time...
Susan :-)

3 comments:

  1. Now you've got me curious about the cinnamon. I've got to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be fun to see all of the photos you collect for the hunt! Your garden is coming up great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am excited to see what you collect for your scavenger hunt. Your garden is really coming along. I have a big garden in the land behind me. If they ever decide to develop it, garden will be gone. I have a ton of tomato plants (we can them), corn, onions, cukes, chives, peppers, basil, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and pumpkins for the kids at Halloween. It is really starting to grow. We too have had a ton of rain and not enough sun until this last week or so. Though, even that has been mixed with some nasty storms that have sent us to the basement a handful of times. It was fun snipping basil for dinner fresh from our garden the other night. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.