Wednesday, July 17, 2013

An eReader Knitting Project

I've always loved to read and visit the public library. We lived in a predominantly French city in Quebec. The local library had a dreadfully small selection of English books and the ladies working in the library only spoke French so communicating with them was difficult for me. The library was not a fun place to be.  I dreamed of living in a place where the public library would be filled with English books and I could easily ask for help if I needed it or just chat with the ladies at the counter as I checked out my books. Then we moved to Edmonton!

I quickly registered for a library card but the irony of how the library system works here still makes me chuckle when I think about it. They have this great online system where you can choose your books from the comfort of your own home. The books are put on hold for you and an email is sent to let you know that they are ready for pickup. When you go to the library the books are waiting on the "Reserved" shelf where you grab them and then use the automated machines to do your own checkout! Very convenient but also very different from what I imagined my library experience would be in this English city. This is when I started thinking about getting an eReader since I wasn't interacting with anybody at the library anyway.


I put a lot of thought into whether or not to buy one and did a lot of research before deciding which was the right reader for me and when I saw it go on sale I couldn't resist buying it.  I wasn't sure I would like using an eReader but I wouldn't trade it in now for anything! I love that I can download books from my library whenever I need them and don't have to worry about physically returning them when they're due back. My reader is lightweight and comfortable to hold and I can adjust the font size if needed.

The only thing that has been missing is a cover to protect the unit when I bring it with me to appointments.  I really couldn't justify spending almost half of what I paid for the reader itself on a brand name cover that would only be used occasionally so I decided to make one myself.


I found a free pattern on Ravelry, got out my knitting needles and some sock yarn, and got to work.  Now I have a nice case to protect my reader that didn't cost anything to make since the yarn had been given to me. It doesn't get better than that and there's something nice about owning an item that is a true original.  :-)

Until next time...
Susan :-)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,

    A great choice buying an e Reader as your uncle has had one for about four years. He loves it. I love your case.














    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the cover turned out awesome! You are a knitting "superstar"! Is that the wool from Pat? This is far better than store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm..I'm thinking the same as you about that library system. I'm not sure I could cope with that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.