Sunday, July 21, 2013

How Does Your Garden Grow?

It's been just over 3 weeks since I blogged about my little vegetable plot at the community garden near home and things have really changed since then...


We've had a good amount of rain so I haven't had to water the garden very much and it's really taken off! I decided to try the Square Foot Gardening method and this tiny raised bed, which is only 3 x 8 feet, is overflowing with vegetable goodness.  Apart from a nice section of carrots I've also got...

Green Peppers

Cherry Tomatoes

Lettuce...which we've been enjoying for weeks now

Beans...which should be ready very soon

And beets...which I'll be pulling and pickling this week.

Matthew also has a plot (actually he was asked to forfeit one of his two plots to me when I requested one and they'd run out due to overwhelming demand) and he's growing carrots, beans, onions and cucumbers. Between the two of us we'll be eating lots of fresh-picked vegetables for the next while. If only it was possible to garden year round!  It's such a good feeling to eat food that you've grown yourself and know that it's healthy and hasn't been treated with chemicals. I am enjoying having this garden so much and plan on doing this every year from now on. What's growing in your garden?

Until next time...
Susan :-)

3 comments:

  1. Your garden looks amazing!!! I wish we would get some rain. So dry here, and hot. My tomato plants are huge this year. Raspberries are already coming in. Corn is getting tall and starting to get tassels on it. Lot of peppers. I have a few cukes picked too to my cucumber salad. I need to get out and weed it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your garden looks amazing!! What's growing in my garden..... well weeds of course! ;) I have to get out there and get on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not planted much this year but once we've moved and settled I plan on doing more. Square foot gardening is good isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.