Sunday, July 7, 2013

Storytelling Sunday - The Dishcloth

It's the first Sunday of the month and I'm joining in once again with Sian's Storytelling Sunday where the focus this year is on telling the stories behind some of our most precious things.  When I think of precious things what first comes to mind are items that have been passed down to me from somebody in the family or things that I've had for a very long time which hold some memory of the past for me.  But this really isn't always the case and a brand new something can be very precious too.  And that precious thing can be something as simple as a dishcloth.


What makes this dishcloth special is that it was knit by my mother for me after she had her stroke and was placed in a long-term care facility.  I can remember standing in the hospital corridor a few days after the stroke had happened, talking with the nurse-practitioner who was in charge of my mother's case, trying to get a sense of what the future might hold.  I told her how much my mother loved to knit and that I couldn't imagine what it would be like for her if she lost the ability to do that.  It made me cry, and she hugged me, and then said that nobody could really know what would happen but it was very unlikely that my mother would ever be able to knit again.  Happily, that didn't turn out to be right at all.

After her stroke, my mother never expressed an interest in knitting to us, and we never thought to offer her yarn and needles so that she could try, but one day at the home one of the other residents was knitting and my mother was offered a turn at working on the item.  It was such a shock to us that she could still knit! Since then she's been knitting dishcloths which are the perfect project since they're small and easy to complete.  She keeps her knitting with her all the time, in a cloth bag that hangs from the arm of her wheelchair. She gives the dishcloths that she makes to the nurses and caregivers at the home, and keeps Jen and I supplied too. She may not be able to knit the same way she used to and sometimes the dishcloths are a bit lopsided and wonky-looking but my mother is knitting!  And that's a precious thing indeed.

There are lots more stories about people's precious things linked up on Sian's blog, so go and have a look...

Until next time...
Susan :-)

15 comments:

  1. I am so glad your Mom is still able to do something she loves!! Your wash cloths are in deed very special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading about your heartfelt precious, showing us how the simple things really matter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that really is precious. I'm so glad your mother was able to take up knitting again and that you can appreciate the fruits of her labour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved how you told this story. Hope you will journal this into a LO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's my kind of precious. It really is. Jen's right: you have told the story so well. I think it's going to touch a lot of hearts today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really is very, very precious. I'm so pleased that she has regained that ability.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh your story really touched me - that really is precious - and told so well. How lovely that mum can still knit for you. J x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful story. I'm glad your mom is still able to do something she loves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'm glad your Mum can still knit. It's great of you to share her knitting with us. So precious. xoxo from France

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that made me cry. My Mum had a stroke and afterwards my Dad wrapped her in cottonwool and wouldn't let anyone near her so she sat and stagnated. It gave me a great thrill to read your story and to know that your Mum is still battling on. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful that your mother can still do something she loves. I'm sure she will never run out of people wanting her dishcloths either :) A heartwarming story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's fantastic that you mum can still knit and I'm not surprised that those dishcloths are so precious x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! So glad that skill remained available to her. My Mom loved to crochet and always had something she was working on. Even as a passenger in a car or while watching television! I kept all the afghans she crocheted for my girls when they were little and I'm sure when they are out on their own, it will be something special for them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful story and so perfectly precious. I love that she is knitting something useful for everyone because that's what we want to be after retirement, still useful. My own Mum is recovering from a broken hip and elbow at 92 and she's just started knitting again. Last month we thought she wouldn't survive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how lovely - the story, the acceptance that things aren't going to be perfect - in life or dishcloths but to keep going is the important bit. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.