Thursday, July 4, 2013

Summertime Photo Scavenger Hunt

I've captured my second photo for the scavenger hunt challenge that I'm doing from Rinda's blog.

#8  A Tower

This is the water tower in the small town of Wetaskiwin, Alberta where my parents live.  Actually, Wetaskiwin is a city and boasts the motto, "City in Motion", which always makes us laugh because there's not a whole heck of a lot going on over there.

According to the city's website, the tower, which was built in 1909, stands 42 meters high and holds 454,609 litres of water.  In 2004, Wetaskiwin City Council considered demolishing the water tower but concerned citizens convinced them that the tower was worth saving as it represents a link to the city's past. Work to refurbish the tower began in 2005 and was completed in 2006 and the tower now stands as a historic landmark of the city.

Contrary to what I thought, water towers are still in use today and serve the function of creating water pressure in a municipal water system.  Who knew?!  I thought they were merely relics from the past and a good place to paint a city's name so all would see it.  I've actually learned something by doing this photo challenge and that's always a good thing!

Until next time...
Susan :-)

1 comment:

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.