Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Pretty Birds Have Arrived

Finally!! With the exception of one day when a House Finch dropped by for a few minutes, I've been looking at little brown sparrows at my bird feeder all summer long and hoping for something more interesting.  Sorry, Sparrows...it's nothing personal, but all those brown feathers are just a tad boring after so many months.

Maybe it's the change of season, or maybe it's the fact that two weeks ago I filled the feeder with black oil sunflower seeds, but suddenly this afternoon my new offering of food was discovered and I had a variety of interesting birds to look at.

I have a lot of respect for anyone who takes wildlife shots successfully - some of these birds move so quickly that it's near impossible to capture them. I put my limited ornithological skills to work, grabbed my "Birds of Alberta" book and tried my best to identify these birds.

Black-Capped Chickadee


Red-Breasted Nuthatch

I'm not sure about this one but I believe it is a juvenile Robin or maybe an adult female. It looks like a robin but not like the ones I normally see which have a darker red breast and are the males.

Downy Woodpecker

So it was a pretty exciting afternoon for me as far as birds were concerned and I hope to see more pretty ones visiting again. I showed the photos to Richard when he got home from work and he said, "Wow, finally some quality birds!"  I had to laugh at that one.

Until next time...
Susan :-)

4 comments:

  1. I love chickadees!! I spotted it from the little photo in my blog roll!! Can you send him down here please?! :) I so miss my pretty birds. In our old house (in a well established neighborhood - our house was 30 yrs old), we had so many chickadees and cardinals (my favorites). No cardinals, no chickadees. But I do have those pain in the butt killdeer birds that are oh so annoying. Lots of finches too, and a few others I am not sure of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! This is soooo amazing! I have never seen or captured a Nuthatch. I agree that that is a Robin between baby and grown for sure. I love the Downy Woodpecker. Love how they seem to fly up and down. All I seem to have in my yard these days is Chickadees, but I'm not complaining. They will stay all winter and look amazing against the snowy branches. Great bird day! This should be a LO or better yet, start a bird album. I am about to start on volume 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jennifer...this will make an amazing layout! It would be great with a shot of just some black oil sunflower seeds in a pan or something so you could crop to just the seeds...
    What wonderful pictures you managed to shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos and I find changing the seed can make a real difference too. The robin looks more like a European robin to me - but agreeing it looks like a juvenile. We hear woodpeckers here but don't tend to see them often.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.