Monday, September 9, 2013

Winding Down the Photo Scavenger Hunt

I'm back again with the last group of photos which I took for Rinda's Summertime Photo Scavenger Hunt.

One Sunday on the way back from visiting my mother at the home we stopped near Edmonton International Airport, certain that we would easily be able to photograph an airplane coming in for a landing. As we approached the airport two planes passed overhead but by the time we'd parked and gotten out of the car, it seems that there were no more flights arriving. There were plenty of planes taking off but it turns out that photographing a moving aircraft is really hard (at least for me!) and all I ended up with were specks in the sky.  Jen suggested we try the airport closer to home so the next day we drove to Edmonton City Centre Airport but after standing around for a while there was absolutely nothing happening there either.  Luckily, we had noticed the Alberta Aviation Museum along the way which has several stationary aircraft outside.  I have no idea what this airplane is called or the story behind it but I thought it looked really nice - so bright and yellow!

#4 Airplane


The past couple of weeks I've been keeping my eyes on the sky waiting for a nice sunset, but where we live there seem to be too many buildings and trees obstructing the view.  Richard suggested that we go to the top level of the parkade at a local shopping mall in hopes of getting up high enough for a decent shot. What a good idea!

#5 Sunset

This rustic fence line was photographed at a beautiful park close to where we live. There's an off-leash area where dogs can play and run free, picnic tables and BBQ's, trails to walk, and a really cool water play area for kids. It's a great place to go to spend a sunny day relaxing and we've also done some geocaching here as well.  

#13 Fence

A good old-fashioned black & white police car! I was so thrilled to see this type of police car when we moved to Edmonton because I hadn't seen any like this for years and years in Quebec. They have such a great, retro feel and remind me of when I was a kid.

#15 Police Car

This was the one item on the scavenger hunt list that I really had no plan for until the last minute. I have candles at home, but nothing special and nothing that I particularly wanted to photograph.  When we went to the police station to take the above photograph, I decided that a trip to Target was in order because surely they'd have some nice candles in stock.  It was a toss-up between an elephant and an owl but the owl won because he's just so darn cute.  I didn't bring him home with me though because it bothers me to light a shaped candle and see it disintegrate slowly into nothing.

#17 Candle

This is the Tim Hortons which is within walking distance of our house. It is a favourite spot for my boys who are particularly fond of the cool and delicious Iced Cappucino that is sold there, not to mention the donuts and muffins.  I'm not a coffee drinker myself so it's not a place that I go very often but I did try an Iced Lemonade this summer which was very refreshing.

#18 Local Coffee House

And that just about wraps up the Summertime Photo Scavenger Hunt for me. There remains just one photo left to be taken - me with an artistic tool or craft supply.  We'll see how long I procrastinate on taking that one!

Until next time...
Susan :-)

6 comments:

  1. I love watching the planes take off and land. The Mall of America is across the freeway from the Minneapolis International Airport. They put in a new runway a handful + years ago. As you are exiting off to go to the MOA, the planes sometimes fly over pretty low coming in for a landing. I wish there was a safe place to stand to watch with a camera because what a vantage point that is!! How cool would that shot be!! :)

    Our squad cars are gray. But the town north of us has the b/w squad cars.

    The park that the fence photo is from - it looks like such a neat place. I wish our city would have something like that. They don't have anything cool/nice here. Everything here is so old... oh except for the fancy new city hall building, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is she going to do a fall time scavenger hunt?? I would love to do that one. I am taking a photography class this fall. It would be nice for some ideas and practice my shots.

      Delete
  2. Wow Susan your photos are so great! I especially love the one of the yellow airplane! The sunset photo is beautiful! These photos will make for an amazing album!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I love that police car picture - it has a great "presence" and it's nice to see an actual Tim Horton store. We can buy the donuts here in a corner shop, but no real stores

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great photos. I love that they really make me feel like I"m in Edmonton with you.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think getting to see around your local area is my favourite bit of this hunt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.